Thursday, November 19, 2009

The but's of this job...

Each profession has its own 'but's' and mine as a teacher is no exception.

I thank God for my job. I must confess, though, that there are times I have wished for a job where I didn't have to go to a classroom. Mind you, some of these classrooms are many kilometres away from my office. Going from one class to another is sometimes so stressful that I just feel that I would prefer to work in an office where all I have to do is 'move' files all day. But then what's the guarantee that I would be okay with that?

Presently I'm marking my students' examination papers - nearly 200 papers and essay questions! And I'm thinking that marking scripts is the worst part of the job. I have conveniently forgotten the hectic teaching schedules, research, and student advising. Once again the thought sneaks in that an office - executive or administrative - job will be less demanding and probably even pay better. 

I guess that's human nature. We always think the grass is greener on the other side of the field.

Knowledge has taught me that contentment is the answer to it all. It is written, "Godliness with contentment is great gain."  So whenever, frustrating thoughts bordering on dissatisfaction knock on the door of my mind, I refuse to entertain them. Instead I begin to count my blessings and those earlier thoughts take their leave at once.

We should never feel satisfied with our present achievements; rather we should dream bigger dreams. But we must be content with what we have at present, knowing that our best is yet to come.

Blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment